EXCITING NEWS FROM ABILITREK! Our platform will soon be released to the public. Here are answers to some potential questions!
Q: How are the symbol colors (green, yellow and red) determined?
A: The symbol colors are weighted based on an aggregated system. Green is derived from an accessible review while red comes from a non-accessible review and yellow is somewhere in between.
Q: How are search results calculated?
A: Search results are personalized based on one’s needs specified in their profile.
Q: What is unique to AbiliTrek?
A: AbiliTrek understands that accessibility is not “one size fits all”. AbiliTrek’s platform seeks to provide each individual with the specific accessibility needs they specify in their personal profile.
Q: Are review results verified?
A: AbiliTrek will do this for businesses if contracted/requested.
Q: What do you measure for hearing accommodations?
A: For now, AbiliTrek provides results based on ASL interpreting and closed-captioning.
Q: What do you measure for vision accommodations?
A: For now, AbiliTrek provides results based on Braille alternatives.
Q: What do you measure for mobility accommodations?
A: For now, AbiliTrek AbiliTrek provides results based on entrances, interior mobility, bathrooms including shower/bath, and parking.
Q: What do the different accessibility symbols represent?
A: Symbol: Representation
- Wheelchair: Mobility
- Eye: Vision Accommodations
- Ear: Hearing Accommodations
- Wheelchair in the bottom left corner of the rectangle with an arrow in the center pointing away from the wheelchair: Accessible Entrance
- Gender Neutral Symbol: Accessible Bathroom
- Showerhead: Accessible Shower/Bath
- Solid circle with a white “P” in the center: Accessible Parking
- Magnifying glass: Search
Q: Why should I make a profile?
A: AbiliTrek understands that accessibility is not “one size fits all”. AbiliTrek’s platform seeks to provide you with your specific accessibility needs and can only do so if you fill out a profile. Only needs you specify will pop up in your search.
Q: Why should I review a business?
A: The more reviews the better! This platform will only reach its potential in helping the disability community have the ease of access, and providing businesses with positive reinforcement to encourage them to become accessible to all through your feedback.
Q: How do I review a business?
A: To review a business:
- Enter the business name and its location in the search bar.
- Press search (magnifying glass).
- Select the business you want to review from the list of results.
- Then press, “write a review”.
- Select the accessibility type(s) you would like to review (mobility, vision, hearing or based on your profile if you have created one).
- Click on “write a review” again.
- Click through the questions, selecting the best answer. You may chose “skip” if no answer is applicable. If you did not choose a mobility type, you will be directed just to write a comment.
- After you have completed your survey, leave comments to specify any additional accessibility problems/perks and/or elaborate on any of your answers given throughout your survey portion of the review!
Q: Will businesses see my review?
A: Yes, businesses could see your review in two ways.
- If businesses take the time to search and read reviews, they will be able to see your name. However, only your first name and the first letter of your last name will be provided with each review. So, businesses will not be able to connect it to you specifically.
- AbiliTrek will provide feedback for businesses if contracted/requested.
Q: What if I want more information on a business?
A: If you want more information about a business, you are able to click the Yelp icon button at the bottom of the page. Our platform utilizes Yelp’s basic information. It is our goal to increase this information to include the needs of travelers with disabilities as well.
As time goes on and AbiliTrek acquires more data the search will provide results based on accessibility needs.
If you have any questions for AbiliTrek, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.